September Member of the Month: Cliff Butler
1. Do you have any special hobbies/interests? If so, what are they?
Cliff Butler: Bicycling and music. I can bike better than I can play music but enjoy sitting with friends and playing folk, bluegrass and some contemporary things.
2. What is/was your position and how long have you been in the position?
CB: Environmental Health & Safety Manager with Sherwin Williams for 19 years.
3. What has been the greatest challenge in your career?
CB: Creating an atmosphere where we all own safety and we are champions for the safety of our brothers and sisters on and off the job. It takes great courage for our hourly people to take ownership for others and to speak up to correct unsafe behavior and identify unsafe conditions.
4. What is your most recent accomplishment?
CB: In 2018, I received the Region X VPP Mentor of the Year and the Oregon SHARP Alliance Blue Star Award. This was possible because I have the opportunity to work with a group that believes we share ownership of safety as a value.
5. How did you get involved in the Safety & Health world?
CB: Through managing operations in several fields. I learned more and more about the need for focused attention to safety. The mentorship and encouragement given to me as I moved more exclusively into the safety arena was invaluable and the value I most desire to share.
6. What makes you passionate about the VPPPA?
CB: I have experienced first hand the difference VPP principles make in turning an unsafe environment into a place where we look out for each other and can take pride in making a difference at work and at home.
7. What has been your favorite aspect of the Association?
CB: There is no question that networking is my favorite aspect of the VPPPA. I have borrowed so many presentations and ideas that have made an impact on those I work with as well as the operations that I have been able to assist and mentor during my career. Seeing the passion of the new generation to make a difference is great.
8. What advice would you give to someone interested in the VPP or the VPPPA?
CB: You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Knowing people all over the nation that can offer guidance and education, as well as a wealth of experience will make you stronger and will change the lives of those you work with and care about.