August Member of the Month: Vicky Stansifer
1. Do you take safety home with you? If so, how?
Yes, I am very safety conscious at home. I share best practices with all my kids and grandkids. I am known as the safety Mimi. We talk about tripping hazards, cooking hazards, even heat stress with the grands when they are visiting.
2. What is/was your position and how long have you been in the position?
I am an EHS Technician. I wear many hats at my research facility when it comes to safety. I administer the medical surveillances and health program, lead multiple teams including behavioral based safety and VPP. The emergency response team is another responsibility. I monitor IH records, you name it. I mostly try and build teams and make sure employees and contractors feel empowered to work safely everyday. I have been in this position 15 years.
3. What has been the greatest challenge in your career?
The greatest challenge has been learning all the different aspects of safety that my job encompasses. In order to enhance my knowledge, I have earned several certifications through OSHA including my SGE and SSE.
4. What is your most recent accomplishment?
I helped develop an onboarding tool that the company now uses at most sites to track employees and contractors from day 1. The tool is called Passport and it includes many person to person mentoring sessions that enhance and emphasize our safety culture. In most sites the Passport includes important meetings with senior leaders and includes conversations on safety and the expectations of the company.
5. What advice would you give to "Past You?"
Enjoy the ride. It will all work out so much better than you thought.
6. What makes you passionate about the VPPPA?
I love how VPPPA gives everyone a say in safety. It brings together the heart of the company with workers having an opportunity to influence our policies and practices.
7. What has been your favorite aspect of the Association?
Definitely the connections and lasting friendships made along the way.
8. What advice would you give to someone interested in the VPP or the VPPPA?
Run fast! There’s no better opportunity to shine while making a difference.
9. Tell us a fun fact about yourself!
I play guitar and practice yoga in my quiet time. I’m an avid reader…all more introverted hobbies for someone most people consider super extroverted.